Author Topic: Boingo hotspots do not work  (Read 8794 times)

dcitelecom

Boingo hotspots do not work
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »
I have a Boingo Wireless account and added the login credentials to Easy Wifi. When I enter a hotzone Easy Wifi does not login to the hotspot unless I reboot the phone. I tried it at the Miami International airport and Starbucks.

john

• Devicescape Employee
Re: Boingo hotspots do not work
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:10:58 AM »
Hello,

Do you have standard Boingo or Boingo Mobile? They are different accounts and have to be entered differently into our system. Assuming you have that right, then it should work at most Boingo locations. It definitely works at AT&T locations (assuming you were at a Starbucks in the US), and should work on the Bell ones in Canada too.

I do actually see successful connections on both networks in your history (which means your phone was able to communicate with our server after logging in). Can you tell me what you saw?

Rgds,
John...

dcitelecom

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:18:14 PM »
I have Boingo Mobile ($7.95 / month). I use Easy WiFi with the Nokia E72 voip client and it works ok for my home and office network. Before going on vacation I added Boingo Mobile to my Easy Wifi account and updated the networks on my device. I then noticed that Easy Wifi recognized the Montreal-Trudeau airport but did not login or change the voip route until I rebooted the device. I noticed the same thing at Starbucks in the USA. At the apple store Easy Wifi also did not login nor did it use the Aventura Mall free wifi network. I guess it's maybe not compatible with Nokia VoIP but it would really make sense with the VoIP app.

john

• Devicescape Employee
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 02:48:41 PM »
Hello,

The Easy WiFi app cannot change anything in the network routing - it is not a mobile IP stack (which would be able to do what you're asking). Easy WiFi is essentially a helper for the built in networking. Since your existing 3G connection was still up and working, the OS is not going to tell the VoIP application that there are other options. Only when a connection goes away does the VoIP application get told it needs to find a new connection.

To make VoIP work the way you're expecting needs something more like a mobile IP stack that can present a single connection to the application, and a single connection to the VoIP server in the cloud, but route the packets over the best available interface in between. There are mobile IP solutions for Nokia devices, but since they require a home agent to be running in the cloud too, they are not practical for consumer use really. The only other way I can see to do it would be to have the VoIP app make connections over both interfaces in parallel (which SIP is OK with), and then try to re-establish those actively if they are lost. Can the Nokia VoIP stack have more than one connection active at a time?

HTH,
John...

dcitelecom

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 07:18:11 PM »
Then why does it work exactly like that when I enter my home network (also programmed in Easy Wifi)?

I have VoiP on 3G all day and when I come back home the phone recognizes the home network (presented by Easy Wifi) and changes the connection to Easy Wifi because it's priority 1.

The VoIP connection on the E72 can select the access point based on priority so when Easy Wifi connects to my home network it recognizes that there is a connection with higher priority and changes routes.

The problems appears to be that Easy Wifi reacts differently to my home network than to Boingo or other hotspots. It seems that Easy Wifi auto connects to my home network and keeps the connection alive whereas it only connects to other hotspots if a connection is required thus not making it available to the voip app.

john

• Devicescape Employee
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:50:01 AM »
Hello,

Easy WiFi is not making any connections unprompted on the S60 devices. All that happens is we keep monitoring the scan list, and if a matching network is found (and hotspots and personal networks are treated the same way for this), then we will set the SSID for the Easy WiFi IAP to match that network. The system can then indicate that the Easy WiFi AP is available when it sees a match between the Easy WiFi AP and the scan list. We don't control any connections (we wish we could, but that's not the S60 way).

If an application is monitoring availability of connections, it should see the Easy WiFi AP become available after we set the SSID to one in the current scan list. I didn't realise the VoIP application would change connections automatically - most Symbian apps are happy to use the connection they have until it gets dropped, and then they start looking for a new one.

The only thing I can think of that might cause it to not work is a bug we found the other day where in some circumstances, a network that is running more than one access point in the same venue might not be considered for matching. In an airport, I can see that being the case. We have a fix coming soon for that one.

HTH,
John...

dcitelecom

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »
I'll let you know if that changes anything.

To recap. Easy WiFi works great when switching from my home to 3G and then to my biz wireless network and back to 3G. It also recognizes public hotspots like the Atwater Forum where Pepsi Cola offers free WiFi (part of L'ile sans fils). In all these instances the Nokia E72 VoIP app disconnects 3G and switches over to the Easy Wifi connection.

Where it does not work (with VoIP) is Boingo hotspots at Startbucks and airports. Easy WiFi still recognizes these hotspots but the Voip application does not switch over.

With regards to VoIP, it also does not work with hotspots that disconnect after a certain time because the network is still there except the connection is closed. I propose a mechanism to lockout these hotspots instead if keeping the registration alive since that would be against the terms of the hotspot.